Web
Analytics

Delicate Beauty in Stone and Glass



An historical and artistic treasure at the heart of the cemetery since 1906





Alanson Sumner Page



The Chapel was donated by the Page family of Oswego in memory of Alanson Sumner Page (1825-1905) and his wife, Elsie Benson Page. Mr. Page was a prominent businessman, civic leader, and 4-term mayor of Oswego. Since its completion in 1907, it has been the centerpiece of our cemetery and an important part of our community.


The building is a fine example of stone Gothic architecture. The squat bell tower and rough-hewn heavy buttressed walls are offset by intricate tracery in the panel and rose windows, creating an imposing and graceful effect at the same time.


The Chapel is used frequently for funeral services and memorials, as well as weddings.



The stained glass windows in the Page Memorial Chapel are a cultural and artistic treasure of national significance. The signed windows were designed by Frederick Wilson and executed by Louis Comfort Tiffany’s Tiffany Studios in New York City. The entire suite of windows was commissioned for the chapel by the Page Family at the time of its construction.


The windows in the nave are of multiple cream-colored panes framed by columns and an ivy motif. The translucent and whorled nature of the glass give a strong impression of mother of pearl. The relatively restrained palette of colors in the nave is in stark contrast to the riot of colors in the apse. This area is dominated by a large triptych of stained glass windows set in stone tracery. Entitled “The Easter Morn”, the central panel depicts a scene from the Gospel of St. Matthew. In an early dawn scene, three women are informed by two flanking angels that the tomb of Christ is empty. “He is not here: for He is risen.” (Matthew 28:6) is subtly tucked into the design in an ornate gothic script.


In each of the panels to the side of the central scene, a young child watches expectantly from a lush garden. The left panel carries the inscription “redeemed from among men” (Revelation 14:4). The right panel is subtitled “without fault before the throne of God” (Revelation 14:5). The entire passage describes the “saved” as the first fruits of a garden gathered by God. Since the windows are dedicated to the memory of four Page children who did not survive into adulthood, the theme is evocative and appropriate.


The windows are striking when viewed from a distance. When seen up close, the skill of the artisans becomes even more evident. Unlike traditional stained glass, the Tiffany windows in the chapel have a 3-dimensional quality sheets of thick, undulating purple glass contribute depth to the robes of the figures in the scenes.